Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center offers monthly support groups and services
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center (CJBCC) at Citizens Memorial Hospital offers a variety of support groups for cancer patients and their families.
CJBCC March Events
- The American Cancer Society (ACS) will offer Look Good…Feel Better on March 10 beginning at 1 p.m. at the CJBCC. Look Good…Feel Better is designed for women ages 16 and older (currently undergoing treatment) that are dealing with hair loss and skin changes from chemotherapy and radiation. Patients will learn specific skin, hair and make-up techniques unique to those undergoing treatment. Attendees also take home a makeup package valued at $200. Registration is required. Call the ACS at 417-447-1475 to register.
- Ladies, stop by on your way home from work for Coffee with Carol. This month, the group will meet Tuesday, March 11 from 5:15 – 6 p.m. at The Tremain Family Hospitality House located across the street from the Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center. The casual gathering is for all women affected by cancer. For more information, contact Carol Morris, RD, at 417-328-7912.
- The High Hopes Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. on March 13 at Jasmine’s Restaurant in Bolivar. For more information, contact Carol Morris, RD, at 417-328-7912.
- The Men’s Cancer Fellowship Group will meet on Friday, March 21 from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the CJBCC. The group meets every other month and spouses and caregivers are encouraged to attend. For more information about the Men’s Cancer Fellowship Group, contact Robert McMillan, LCSW at 417-328-7907 or Steve Keller at 417-328-6358. The Cancer Center is located at 1501 N. Oakland, Bolivar.
- Yoga classes for cancer patients and the community are offered every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:15 p.m. at Butterfield Residential Care Center. The one-hour class is $5 per session and is taught by certified yoga instructor Jenny Mayor. For more information contact Mayor at 417-684-7159. Butterfield Residential Care Center is located at 1120 N. Butterfield in Bolivar.
Other Support Services Offered at the CJBCC
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center at CMH makes several networking and outreach opportunities available. Other support groups meeting every other month are the Caregivers Greet-Eat-Meet and Women’s Cancer Companionship Group. Outreach available through the American Cancer Society includes: I Can Cope Online; Reach to Recovery; and Cancer Survivors Network. Social Services at the CJBCC are available to assist with your healthcare directives and the CJBCC partners with the Roy Blunt YMCA of Bolivar and LIVESTRONG Foundation to offer exercise classes for cancer survivors. The 12-week program is for adult cancer survivors who have recently become de-conditioned from their treatment and/or disease up to two years after remission. The client works one-on-one with a trainer and a free six month membership is included.
February 28, 2014