Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center offers monthly support groups and services
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center (CJBCC) at Citizens Memorial Hospital offers a variety of support groups for cancer patients and their families.
CJBCC June Events
- Citizens Memorial Hospital (CMH) and the Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center encourage men to be active in their health by hosting a free men’s health day on Thursday, June 12 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the CMH Community Rooms located at the hospital, 1500 N. Oakland, Bolivar. CMH will offer free prostate-specific antigen testing (PSA) testing for men 40 and older. Other screenings and wellness information will be available and the event includes a free grilled lunch and door prizes for both men and ladies.
- The American Cancer Society (ACS) will offer Look Good…Feel Better on Monday, June 9 beginning at 1 p.m. at the CJBCC. Look Good…Feel Better is designed for women ages 16 and older (currently undergoing treatment) that are dealing with hair loss and skin changes from chemotherapy and radiation. Patients will learn specific skin, hair and make-up techniques unique to those undergoing treatment. Attendees also take home a makeup package valued at $200. Registration is required. Call the ACS at 417-447-1475 to register.
- Ladies, stop by on your way home from work for Coffee with Carol. This month, the group will meet Tuesday, June 17 from 5 – 6 p.m. at The Tremain Family Hospitality House located across the street from the Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center. The casual gathering is for all women affected by cancer. For more information, contact Carol Morris, RD, at 417-328-7912.
- The Caregivers Greet-Eat-Meet group will meet Friday, June 20 at 10:30 a.m. at the CJBCC. The support group provides encouragement and companionship to those caring for a loved one. The time spent together includes supporting one another through sharing stories and information over a complimentary lunch provided by the cancer center. The group is facilitated by Robert McMillian, LCSW. For more information call 417-328-7907.
- Cancer survivors, and those currently in treatment, are encouraged to fellowship together at the Women’s Cancer Companionship Group on Friday, June 20 at 1:30p.m. at the CJBCC. This month Donna Griffin, MSW, LCSW will speak on “Staying Positive When Things Are Falling Apart”. The event is facilitated by Carol Morris, RD. For more information contact Morris at 417-328-7912.
- Yoga classes for cancer patients and the community are offered every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:15 p.m. at Butterfield Residential Care Center. The one-hour class is $5 per session and is taught by certified yoga instructor Jenny Mayor. For more information contact Mayor at 417-684-7159. Butterfield Residential Care Center is located at 1120 N. Butterfield in Bolivar.
Other Support Services Offered at the CJBCC
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center at CMH makes several networking and outreach opportunities available. Other support groups are Men’s Cancer Fellowship Group and High Hopes. Outreach available through the American Cancer Society includes: I Can Cope Online; Reach to Recovery; and Cancer Survivors Network. Social Services at the CJBCC are available to assist with your healthcare directives. The CJBCC partners with the Roy Blunt YMCA of Bolivar and LIVESTRONG Foundation to offer exercise classes for cancer survivors. The 12-week program is for adult cancer survivors who have recently become de-conditioned from their treatment and/or disease up to two years after remission. The client works one-on-one with a trainer and a free six month membership is included.
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center at CMH is located at 1501 N. Oakland in Bolivar. A complete listing of support groups, meeting times and locations are available at citizensmemorial.com or by contacting the CMH Information Center at 417-328-6010 or 888-328-6010.
May 27, 2014