Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center offers monthly support groups and services
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center (CJBCC) at Citizens Memorial Hospital offers a variety of support groups for cancer patients and their families.
CJBCC February Events
- Ladies, stop by on your way home from work for Coffee with Carol. This month, the group will meet Thursday, Feb. 7 from 5:15 – 6 p.m. at The Bean 3:16 located at 106 E Jackson Street on the Bolivar Square. The casual gathering is for all women affected by cancer. For more information, contact Carol Morris, RD, at 417-328-7912.
- The Caregivers Greet-Eat-Meet group will meet Friday, Feb. 15 at 10:30 a.m. at the CJBCC. The support group provides encouragement and companionship to those caring for a loved one. The time spent together includes supporting one another through sharing stories and information over a complimentary lunch provided by the cancer center. The group is facilitated by Robert McMillian, LCSW. For more information call 417-328-7907.
- Cancer survivors and those currently in treatment are encouraged to fellowship together at the Women’s Cancer Companionship Group on Friday, Feb. 15 at 1:30 p.m. at the CJBCC. The event is facilitated by Carol Morris, RD. For more information contact Morris at 417-328-7912.
- Fly-tying instruction will be offered on Monday, Feb. 11 at the Polk County Library from 6:30 - 8 p.m. for cancer patients, their family and friends. Wayne Simpson will offer the free class to beginners who want to learn to tie trout flies. Advance tyers are welcome to bring their own knowledge, supplies and patterns to share with the group. The event is sponsored by the CJBCC Men’s Cancer Fellowship Group. The library is located at 1690 W. Broadway in Bolivar. For more information contact Simpson at 417-777-5321.
- The American Cancer Society (ACS) will offer Look Good…Feel Better on Monday, Feb. 11 beginning at 1 p.m. at the CJBCC. Look Good…Feel Better is designed for women ages 16 and older (currently undergoing treatment) who are dealing with hair loss and skin changes from chemotherapy and radiation. Patients will learn specific skin, hair and make-up techniques unique to those undergoing treatment. Attendees also take home a make-up package valued at $200. Registration is required. Call the ACS at 417-447-1475 to register.
- Yoga classes for cancer patients and the community are offered every Tuesday and Thursday at 5:15 p.m. at Butterfield Residential Care Center. The one-hour class is $5 per session and is taught by certified yoga instructor Jenny Mayor. For more information contact Mayor at 417-684-7159. Butterfield Residential Care Center is located at 1120 N. Butterfield in Bolivar.
Other Support Services Offered at the CJBCC
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center at CMH makes several networking and outreach opportunities available. Other support group meetings include High Hopes and Men’s Cancer Fellowship Group, which meet bimonthly. Outreach available through the American Cancer Society includes: I Can Cope Online; Reach to Recovery; and Cancer Survivors Network. Social Services at the CJBCC are available to assist with your healthcare directives.
The Carrie J. Babb Cancer Center at CMH is located at 1501 N. Oakland in Bolivar. A complete listing of support groups, meeting times and locations are available at citizensmemorial.com or by contacting the CMH Information Center at 417-328-6010 or 888-328-6010.
January 25, 2013